Wednesday, October 29, 2008

night hike

A few weeks ago, we went on a night-hike with the cub scouts. It was a lot of fun. We walked around Lake Padden starting at 6 pm, stopping at stations all along the way that had activities for the kids to do.
The kids all had a lot of fun at each station. After completing the activity they earned a sticker for the treasure map we were working on as a team.


It was really, really cold. The boys didn't mind but Ava and I did (a little).

In fact, I should admit that one of us did not enjoy herself much at all. In retrospect, we should not have brought Ava along.

One of the highlights for the boys was getting to wear their headlamps!



One of my favorite stations was the "fire safety house." Fire fighters had set up this house for the kids to come in and learn how to escape safely in a smoke filled room. They thought it was cool and I was glad for them to have this experience. At home we have talked about how to do it and practiced our drills but it is hard for them to understand a smoke filled room, so that was cool.


All in all it was a really great experience.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brrrr....it looks cold, Amy. I'm with you and Ava, Take me home and out of the cold.

Joyce said...

What a great educational and memory-making experience. Headlamps look cool. :)

Zepmom said...

I know you and Ava didn't want to miss out on any fun though!

Rebecca M said...

What an awesome activity! This makes me want to find a scout group like this in our area. And yes, you girls look chilly!